ad2

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fiestaware & Wine Soaked Fruit Salad

The family farm is close enough to the Fiestaware Factory that we couldn't help but pile into the car and go out to see what we could find.  I have a nice size Fiesta collection but I could always use more and I was looking for smaller bowls to serve bite size yummies for the girls. Plus, buying items made right here in the United States of America is always a great idea.

The current factory was founded in 1907 and is located in Newell, West Virginia.  The people running the outlet store couldn't be nicer and not only can you find everything you ever wanted in current production, they also have a large room of seconds. This is a treasure trove of stacked plates, dishes, and bowls that were not good enough to place on store shelves. Ha - good enough for me,  a small spot here or a raised bump there doesn't distract me from a good bargain.  I managed to navigate through the Dr. Seussish stacks without knocking anything over (although I came close). I was on the hunt for a new butter dish and found 200+ butter dish bottoms in the second room but no tops.  I suppose it is the luck to find some items. Nevertheless,  we were pleased to leave with a half dozen fruit bowls, pasta plates, and coffee mugs to drag back to Chicago with us in August. If I could have had my way I would have jumped into the rubble pile of thirds to take back some broken pieces for art projects. I suppose that is what the fence was for.

First on display

Oh boy, Fiesta Heaven.

Stacks of Seconds
Bowls just asking to topple over


This must be the "thirds" pile. It screams craft projects to me. I almost hopped the fence. lol.  



Wine Soaked Fruit Salad

To compliment our new little Fiestaware fruit bowls. I whipped up an easy fruit salad that is spicy and refreshing.

4 cups of chopped fruit
3 TBS of honey
The juice of one lemon
1 tsp of cardamom.

Place in a bowl and then top off the salad with your favorite sweet white wine. I used a Riesling. Let soak in the refrigerator and then spoon into small dessert dishes and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment